Thursday, August 13, 2009

500 Days of Summer




"This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story."

So, I've decided to jump on the bandwagon and start my own blog. I know everyday people are now inundated with new "bloggers." So why in the world would anyone want to read an online diatribe by yours truly? Well, honestly I'm not too sure. However, I thought to myself, if there is something out there that I find particularly interesting, maybe just maybe there is at least one other person who does as well. Several of my friends have blogs, and their friends have blogs, so why not me.

The key to all of this is to choose a topic. Ah the topic! This is the biggest decision, besides the name of your blog, and is truly the key to any blogs success. You have to write about something that you are sincerely passionate about, no luke warm feelings. There are a lot of things I like, but what do I love. And more importantly what do I love enough to write entry after entry, keep me coming back for more if you will.

After a session of talking movies and music with my friend Rick today, I realized I had my answer right there. Movie soundtracks, I love movie soundtracks. Soundtracks are the souls of movies, and they can make or break a movie in my opinion. If you don't believe me, next time you watch your favorite movie... PAY ATTENTION... you probably love the music too. Whether it is an instrumental score, random gatherings of various artists, or a compilation of one musicians songs, the movie would be nothing without its musical accompaniment.

Beyond adding emotion and soul to a movie, it can also be a great avenue to finding new artists. Soundtracks are like a pandora radio station, they put together songs and artists that have a similar feel - and generally speaking if you like one song on a soundtrack you will probably like a vast majoirty of them. I recognize this is not always the case, but keep an open mind, you might be surprised. I guarantee that at least one artist on any soundtrack you enjoy will spark your interest enough to find more music they've made. Soundtracks open doors in your musical world: walk through.

My other favorite thing about soundtracks is that every time I hear a song from a movie, or ideally listen to the soundtrack in its entirety, I get to relive the movie all over again. Movies, good ones anyway, leave an impression. Scenes are etched into your memory and the music that is played in the background of those scenes can help trigger those memories. You get the chance to experience those emotions all over again anytime you want.

Ok ok, so lets get into the nitty gritty. As you can tell by the title of this post, my soundtrack of choice today is "500 Days of Summer." First of all let me say, if you haven't seen this movie, you MUST go out and see it today. It is absolutely an amazing movie. Its funny, sad, silly, and clever - but is most definitely not first date material! The very first 'song' on the soundtrack is also the opening narration of the movie. This sets the stage for all of the songs you hear thereafter. From the unique vocals of Regina Spektor, the vintage sound of The Smiths, to the obvious inclusion a little Hall & Oates, this musical version of the movie takes you through all the highs and lows of the main character, Tom Hansen.

1. A Story of Boy Meets Girl - Mychael Danna & Rob Simonsen
2. Us - Regina Spektor
3. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
4. Bad Kids - Black Lips
5. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths
6. There Goes the Fear - Doves
7. You Make My Dreams - Hall & Oates
8. Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
9. Quelqu'un M'a Dit - Carla Bruni
10. Mushaboom - Feist
11. Hero - Regina Spektor
12. Bookends - Simon & Garfukel
13. Vagabond - Wolfmother
14. She's Got You High - Mumm-Ra
15. Here Comes Your Man - Meaghan Smith
16. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - She & Him *

* She & Him is a band that is headed up by the movie's co-star Zooey Deschanel. Definitely a unique sound, but damn that girl has a good voice!


3 comments:

  1. Well which are your favorite songs and why? Did they occur at critical parts of the movie and why was it a good fit for that scene? I love the idea of this blog and am excited for more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I would come out and support my little sis and let every one know that if there is one thing that my sister knows about is movies! So any one who reads this blog will certinly learn something new! Good luck Sis!

    ReplyDelete