Friday, August 14, 2009

500 Days... Redux

So, it was brought to my attention that I didn't really let you all (all one of you anyway) know what my favorite songs were on this soundtrack and why. Well, in light of this glaring error, I've decided to include "Best of..." awards for each soundtrack I include on this forum. The "Best of..." category's may vary from soundtrack to soundtrack, but they will have overlap between each selection. Maybe even a year end recap and a "Best of the Best of's..." awards will be in order. So here we go...

BEST SONG/SCENE COMBINATION: "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates

Ok, this one is extremely cheesy, but its meant to be! The reason this song/scene combination takes the cake is because as soon as I hear the opening few guitar chords, I instantly picture Joseph Gordon Levitt with a cute little animated blue bird resting on his hand. Basically this scene is the "big musical number" of the movie and comes directly after a successful night with the main characters love interest. I dare you to watch this scene and not giggle to yourself and tap your toes. Impossible. Now anytime I catch wind of this song, I will always think of 500 Days.



BEST NEW ARTIST (well to me anyway): Wolfmother

Wolfmother is not really 'new' to the world, but they are new to me. Their contribution to this album is a catchy Rock/Folk mix titled, "Vagabond." While this particular song definitely skews to the Folk side, the majority of their music tends to akin a 70's Classic Rock group. Think Led Zepplin meets Queens of the Stone Age. Their most recent album, and the one that includes Vagabond, is a self-titled album "Wolfmother" from 2007, and can be found on iTunes for $10.99. This October they will be releasing a new album, "Cosmic Egg." While there were several artists on this album that could have been taken this particular category, Wolfmother in my opinion has the best overall sound. And who doesn't love Classic Rock? We need more of it in the world. Nouveau Classic Rock, I like it.

BEST SOUNDTRACK SIGNATURE SOUND:
"Us" and "Hero" by Regina Spektor

Yes two songs. But through the unique jazzy vocals of Regina Spektor, these two songs exude all of the emotions that the movie 500 Days goes through. "Us" is very upbeat with its staccato piano and violin instrumentals and Regina's bright vocals adding to the overall effect. This is the musical equivalent to the excitement of falling in love that you feel with Tom and Summer. "Hero," on the other hand, expresses the surprise and shock when a great love falls apart. The minor chords of the piano and haunting vocals take you on a ride through a break up. The essence of the movie, falling in love, breaking up, and moving on from it all. Check and check with "Us" and "Hero."

No comments:

Post a Comment